British Airways announce that the booking fee for a Reward Flight Saver will rise from the 11th July (see an extract from the BA site below). The amount of Avios required appears unchanged. Reward Flight Saver bookings are applied for bookings between two European destinations and are a good deal because the usual taxes and fees aren’t applied. This is especially good for flights to/from the UK where passenger duty is ridiculously high.
The BA site says that bookings made before the 11th July will still benefit from current pricing. I tested this for a flight next year and the fees are at the current rate.
So it’s maybe a good time to pick some future dates to burn some Avios. But first check how many tier points you need for this year to retain/make status and use this basic set of rules:
- I will only just fly enough to retain/make status = make Avios bookings for dates after your earnings year is complete
- I’m Bronze but will be Blue next year = make Avios bookings for dates after your earnings year is complete as you earn 25% more miles on paid tickets while Bronze
- I’m Silver but will be Bronze next year = make Avios bookings for dates after your earnings year is complete as you earn 100% more miles on paid tickets while Silver
- I’m Gold but will be Silver next year = make Avios booking for whenever you like as both Gold and Silver earn 100% more miles
- I’m Blue but will be Bronze soon = tough one this – you need paid flights to move to Bronze, but once Bronze you get a bonus of 25% on paid flights. But 25% isn’t so much so book for dates after you achieve Bronze.
- I’m Bronze but will be Silver soon = tough one this – you need paid flights to move to Silver, but once Silver you get a bonus of 100% on paid flights.
- I’m Silver but will be Gold soon = book for dates after you achieve Gold – although you will get better reward flight availability when Gold.
Reward Flight Saver on flights with British Airways
Reward Flight Saver gives you a great deal on short-haul flights. You pay for them with Avios plus a flat fee – we take care of all other taxes, fees and charges.
For flights within Europe, the flat fee is currently £30/€35 in Euro Traveller and £40/€45 in Club Europe, which will be available until 11 July 2013.
After this date, the fee will rise to £35/€42.50 in Euro Traveller and £50/€60 in Club Europe.*
To take advantage of the current prices, simply book your Reward Flight Saver before 11 July 2013.
*For Moscow, Reward Flight Saver prices will rise to £45/€55 return in World Traveller Plus and £55/€65 return in First.