Adria Airways, Aegean Airlines, Aeroplan®, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, Airpoints™, Amigo, ANA, ANA Mileage Club, Asiana Airlines, Asiana Club, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, Avianca Brazil, Brussels Airlines, Competition, Connect Miles, Copa Airlines, Croatia Airlines, EGYPTAIR, EGYPTAIR Plus, Ethiopian Airlines, EuroBonus, EVA Air, Flying Returns, Infinity MileageLands, KrisFlyer, LifeMiles, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Mile, MileagePlus®, Miles & More, Miles & Smiles, Miles + Bonus, Million, Phoenix Miles, Royal Orchid Plus, SAA Voyager, SAS Scandinavian Airlines, ShebaMiles, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Star Alliance, SWISS, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, Victoria
The Star Alliance is celebrating its 20-year anniversary with a competition to win one million miles that you can then spend on flights. There are 21 prizes, one for each of the 21 frequent flyer programmes that are part of the Star Alliance. But you can only enter once – usually your entry would be associated with the frequent flyer programme where you are a member. You can join a programme and then enter.
Closing date for entries is 31 July 2017.
If you aren’t a member of any Star Alliance programme, or even if you are, there are a couple of things to consider:
- Should you join the programme of the airline that you would use the most if you won? You should be able to spend miles with any alliance airline.
- You could consider joining the smallest programme as there would be less entries competing against you. I would guess the smallest is ‘Miles + Bonus’ run by ‘Aegean Airlines’.
- 20 out of the 21 participating programmes are offering miles (or an equivalent metric). SAS’s EuroBonus Programme is offering four round-the-World Business Class tickets. Usually when you spend miles, you still have to pay some taxes and fees – the SAS prize sounds like four free flights. So if a round-the-World trip in Business Class is what you’re looking for then join EuroBonus.
I actually entered using my Lufthansa Miles and More number – that may have been a mistake as Miles and More is Europe’s biggest frequent flyer programme; includes Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa and SWISS.
All entries should be submitted here: http://mileagemillionaire.staralliance.com/?language=en
The first thing you need to do is submit two photos:
- A photo of yourself against a plain and simple background (no patterns), with you in the centre.
- A photo of a cultural experience from your library that you’d like to share, making sure it’s in the same format and orientation as your portrait (i.e. both jpg files in landscape or both in portrait).
The reason for the above guidelines isn’t obvious until you upload both photos and then find that they are used in a mashup picture. I had to go back and choose different photos until I got it right. My cultural experience was a picture I’d taken in Kyoto, Japan and this is how the mashup appeared:
I liked the way that the bamboo lined my face – not so much how the carriage was cut off at the top.
You then need to write a few words about your experience, add your details, frequent flyer membership number and submit your entry.