The Tokyo 2020 Olympics start in July 2020. Japan Airlines (JAL) would like to encourage foreign tourists to visit other parts of Japan by offering free flights between July and September 2020.
There are 50,000 free internal/domestic return flights available.
For a trip such as Tokyo – Osaka or Kyoto, I’d still recommend the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) rather than bother with an airport. And having purchased a Japan Rail Pass, you could then continue on to Nagasaki. But if you’d prefer to fly or just like free stuff, here’s how you can get a ticket.
- Join the JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) club using an address outside Japan: https://www121.jal.co.jp/JmbWeb/JR/EnrollProposal_en.do?
Up to four people can travel together and each of them need to join JMB Club.
- Wait until February 2020 and start checking the ‘Win a Trip with JAL’ page: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/japan-promotion/
- As soon as the promotion becomes active, choose a departure location, date, number of people and time slot.
Date must be between July 1st 2020 and September 30th 2020.
You can only depart from Haneda Airport, Osaka International Airport or Kansai International Airport.
- You’ll see four possible destinations. If you’re happy with all of them, enter passenger information and click apply.
- If you search again, the destinations will change.
- You’ll get an email within three days of applying telling you where you’re going.